It sounds something like this: “Wha?!? Oh @#$% *ooomph* Ugh… that hurt.”
Sound kinda familiar? No? Well, if you’re new to shoes with clips, it will. I’ve done this 5 or 6 times by now. Here’s the setup:
1) Select a place to stop. Try to aim for:
- A nice, crowded intersection
- The front of your riding group
- Slanted/angled/cracked ground (but level ground will do, if you can’t be bothered)
- All of the above
2) Slow down to about 1-2mph, with your favored foot safely unclipped, ready to step down.
3) Now here’s the key: Lean toward the clipped in foot by 0.0005°.
Voila. You’re now perfectly setup to execute one of the most embarrassing cycling maneuvers. No, not tearing your shorts while stepping over your top tube. No, not standing up to charge a hill and letting a big one rip. This is even better.
That’s right, it’s falling over while standing still.